by Brooke Wheaton
Many music listeners enjoy making playlists. If characters from popular novels made playlists based on songs relating to their lives it would look like this:
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
*Harry James Potter, also known as the “Chosen One “or “The boy Who Lived,” continues to duel with Voldemort and the Death Eaters. He enjoys hanging out his friends, Ron and Hermione. His love interest is Ginny, Ron’s younger sister. Harry is known for being brave and selfless.
1. “Do You Believe in Magic” – David Cassidy
2. “Above and Below”- The Bravery
3. “O Children”- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
4. “Where’d You Go”- Fort Minor
5. “Waterfalls”- TLC
*Draco Malfoy is Harry’s enemy. He is a Death Eater, but has some uncertainty about being evil. Draco likes Potions Class because Snape is his favorite teacher. He gets into many difficult situations. Malfoy tends to be narrow-minded; he is against mudbloods and muggles.
1. “Jumper”- Third Eye Blind
2. “Ridin’”- Chamillionaire and Krayzie Bone
3. “Iris”- Goo Goo Dolls
4. “Not Ready To Make Nice”- Dixie Chicks
5. “Seven Nation Army”- The White stripes
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
*Ponyboy is the youngest of three brothers. His parents died in a car wreck when he was a child. He loves literature. Ponyboy has an eye for Cherry Valance. He likes hanging out with the gang, besides Steve Randle, and going to movies. Sometimes he likes to change it up and dye his hair. He always knows what is going on with EVERYONE.
1. “Stay Gold”- Stevie Wonder
2. “From Sunrise to Sunrise”- Paul Wright
3. “Part of Your World”- Jodi Benson
4. “Nosy Neighbor”- Akon
5. “You Belong With Me (Dedicated to Cherry Valance)”- Taylor Swift
*Dallas Winston is tough, tuff (which means cool), and proud of his criminal record. He races horses every now and then for a job. He likes going to parties without shirts, standing up for people in his gang (Do it for Johnny!), and jumping over fences. Dallas is always up to cause trouble and fight. It’s not a rumble unless he is in it.
1. “Born to be Wild”- Steppenwolf
2. “The Joker”- Steve Miller Band
3. “Thrash Unreal”- Against Me!
4. “99 Problems”- Jay-z
5. “Johnny B. Goode”- Chuck Berry
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
*Edward Cullen is known for being fast, cold, pale, and drinking blood. He sparkles in the sunlight and stalks Bella Swan. That’s it.
1. “Every Breath You Take”-The Police
2. “Creep”- Radiohead
3. “My Immortal”- Evanescence
4. “Bella’s Lullaby Song” (that he wrote)
5. “Read My Mind”- The Killers
*Jacob Black is in love with Bella Swan. He is known for being tan and muscular. Jacob enjoys fixing up cars and motorcycles and hanging with the werewolf pack.
1. “Wherever You Will Go”- The Calling
2. “Too Sexy”- Right Said Fred
3. “She Wolf”- Shakira
4. “Why can’t I”- Liz Phair
5. “Never Said Anything”- The Belles
The Odyssey by Homer
* Odysseus is in his mid-life crisis and tries to hide it by taking long trips (it takes him twenty years to get home). He gets all the girls, even though he pretends to be true to his wife.
1. “Fur Elise”- Beethoven
2. “I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home)”- Grand Funk Railroad
3. “Time is Running Out”- Muse
4. “Crawling Back To You”- Backstreet Boys
5. “Hung Up”- Madonna
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
* Holden Caulfield is a teenager who is somewhat of an outsider. He doesn’t like studying, hanging out with friends, or anyone other than his sister Phoebe and long-lost love, Jane. And oh yeah, phonies. Holden does not know when it is the right time to stop talking to people. He finds it amusing to make up lies and stories.
1. “While My Guitar Weeps”- The Beatles
2. “I Want You to Want Me”- Cheap Trick
3. “Down With the Sickness”- Disturbed
4. “All Hail the Heartbreaker”- The Spill Canvas
5. “The Middle”- Jimmy Eat World